Saturday, April 2

Non Habemus Papam

[Non Habemus Papam]

Yes, gentle readers, currently, the office of the Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Patriarch of the West, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of the Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God is vacant.

This is affecting me more than anticipated, largely because I so closely identify my Catholic upbringing with my father who died when I was seventeen. This deluge of memories is heartwrenching: learning to say my prayers kneeling at the side of my bed as a very small girl, learning to say the rosary, attending Mass each Sunday, First Act of Contrition, First Holy Communion, Confirmation, weddings and funerals, baptisms and last rites.