Friday, January 16

Priorities

[Priorities]

There's a bat somewhere in my apartment.

It came in through my bedroom window last night, flew out the bedroom door into the kitchen and remained there flying about making noise. I was afraid of it. I closed the bedroom door and stayed put. I made calls. I tried to get Animal Control to take care of it. I tried to locate my landlady. Thirteen hours passed as I waited in my bedroom for either the landlady or Animal Control to show up.

The landlady and a one of the maintenance men were here for about a half-hour starting at noon. Animal Control came at about twenty minutes before one and just left. We couldn't find the bat.

According to the Animal Control guys, it could be hiding in any piece of clothing in my walk-in closet. The smaller they are the better they hang on. Apparently, I'll have to wait until after dark when it wakes up and flies out from wherever it's hiding. Joy.

Anyway, I spent most of the night thinking, and in a moment of lucidity whilst trapped in my bedroom, I realized that I have misplaced priorities about which people receive my attention.

There are people who I would always feel comfortable calling if I were in the midst of a trauma.

There are people who I would always feel comfortable calling at 2am if I were drunk, horny, or just feeling chatty.

There are people who I would always feel comfortable calling if I saw something amusing that I wanted to share.

And, there are people to whom I devote much time and mindshare that fall into none of those categories.

I need to realign my priorities.

Love to all who listened to me rant last night and this morning.

I'm off to find food, coffee, and someone who is willing to help with this evening's bat issues.