Sunday, July 13

Patience | The Divine Stickman | Implicit Attitudes

[Patience | The Divine Stickman | Implicit Attitudes]

None of the voice mails supplied the previously mentioned sought-after information. Nor did any of today's emails. Alas, we learn patience by practicing.

This afternoon, I was able to finally clear something up. I had been wondering about it for some time, but kept forgetting to ask. Richard the Divine Stickman is indeed Zack's tattoo.

While exploring The Vortex of Skrochocracy [parent site for the Stickman] I found a link for Project Implicit.
Project Implicit represents a collaborative research effort between researchers at Harvard University, the University of Virginia, and University of Washington. While the particular purposes of each study vary considerably, most studies available at Project Implicit examine thoughts and feelings that exist either outside of conscious awareness or outside of conscious control.
And, well, you know I had to try it.

My results:
Your data suggest a strong preference for COKE relative to PEPSI.
Yup. Coulda told'em that. I've passed that friggin' taste test.
Your data suggest a slight preference toward the New York Yankees relative to the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Hmmmmm. Interesting. I think, perhaps, I am just more familiar with the associated images of the New York Yankees. I don't know that I could have told you anything about Arizona Diamondbacks logos, colors or anything before this.
Depending on the magnitude of your result, your automatic associations may be described as 'slight', 'moderate', 'strong', or 'little to no preference'. How implicit associations affect our judgments and behaviors is not well understood. Also, the score described above may be influenced by a number of variables including your familiarity with the categories and the particular items used to represent the categories. As such, the score should serve only as an opportunity for self-reflection. Future research will clarify the way in which implicit preferences affect our thoughts and feelings.
Well, I am always looking for new opportunities for self-reflection. And, apparently I can do this over sixty times!
The topic of this task was randomly assigned to you from a list of over 60 topics. You are welcome to complete as many sessions as you wish, and every session will be a different topic than the last.
Ah well, I'm certain my more interesting implict preferences will never come to light in this manner. I'll just have find other reflection aids for those.